Wednesday 16 January 2013

Whipstitch Essential Quilt E-course part 2

Yesterday I wrote about taking Whipstitch's Essential Quilting e-course last summer (Whip stitch fabrics ) and how I got on with the material selection and the first four blocks.  Today I have more finished blocks to share. 

Deborah's class covers 10 different blocks and I made 9 for my quilt.  First four were strips and squares : log cabin, rail fence, modern herringbone  and double 9 patch (see previous post).  Next up:  triangles!

I had learned half square and quarter square triangles on the Craftsy BOM 2012 February class where we made 12" blocks.  These blocks are 18" and I found the bigger size really easy to work with.  We learned pinwheel and the variation double pinwheel.  I enjoyed the pinwheel so much I made both!

Again I tried mocking up the block before cutting and surprisingly I discovered the placement of the half square triangles in the double pinwheel really affected the movement of the block.  Had I placed the dark pink on the other HST it wouldn't have worked as well. 

 And the result:

I really like the pinwheel blocks.  I saw a giant pinwheel as a bed cover in a craft book and really liked the look of it.  Definitely on my list of to do's.

For Quarter Square Triangles we had the Ohio Star.  I love this.  There is something about star shapes that is so pleasing.  Maybe it’s a hangover from school if you got all your spellings right you got a gold star!  I kept the centre area all the one colour and I just love this pink material.  Seriously this collection is just gorgeous.  I can see a giant version of this being really cool too!

Last of the triangles was the Card Trick.  This was straight cuts with bias edges showing, no HST or QST here.  I was worried about distorting these during sewing and pressing so I starched them within an inch of their lives and pinned as much as I could. 

As this block has lots of parts overlaying each other I thought it's be cool to use one of each colour from the FQB of Karavan and mocked this up. 


Luckily though before making any final decisions for this block I laid out the previous blocks and tried to ensure I had a balance of colours.  I found I had a lot of blue and pink and not so much of the curry colour-way.  So to balance some of the blue blocks on one side of the quilt I used a blue background and added the red and mustard colours in the cards.

Sorry about the angle of the photo!  You can see I kept the light blue and dark blue background but added in more of the curry colours.  Looks odd on its own like this but up against the other blocks it works better!

See elephant on the wall that I bought on holidays in Thailand - bit of a theme going on here!

Up next the centre block : Dresden plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...