I had this block I made previously as the start of a design idea. I call it Star Crossing.
I removed the pinwheel and played with the lights and darks on the background and came up with this which I thought would be a really cool Christmas project.
The two floating rectangles in the middle should have given me a hint but it wasn't until I laid the piece parts out to sew in blocks that I saw I'd have 2 areas where I would have to sew partial seams. I'm ok with it though I haven't done it before but I am happy to try!
The other thing that struck me when piecing the HST is I could have been a bit smarter if I hadn't been using precuts. Instead of piecing 2.5" squares and 3" HST I should have taken a 10" square and cut along the diagonals twice to make quarter square triangles. That would have kept my outside edges on the grain and avoided having bias edges all along the runner.
Linking up to WIP Wednesday and I Quilt Thursdays!