Friday 3 June 2016

On Blogging–Being brave & putting yourself out there

With the new bloggers blog hop starting this month, the whole blogging concept has been running through my mind. I had a conversation with myself about it at lunchtime yesterday while pottering around the kitchen trying to figure out how to fit the baby George grill back in the press. Why do things expand in size the minute you take them out of a cupboard?

Try and explain to your friends and family, why you blog and why you put yourself and your work out there on the internet, can lead to a stumbling mumbling conversation that leaves them looking at you right funny. Some won't know what a blog is and others won't understand why you would want to blog in the first place, especially when there's Instagram and you can read lots and lots of other blogs already out there.

I was also struck yesterday by a link I followed through Abby's weekly While She Naps newsletter. The message was Create before you Consume! Get to the sewing machine first thing in the morning instead of the iPad to check social media.  It got me thinking about things you create as a blogger.  Writing about the process and ideas in creating blog content and creating physical tangible quilts gives not only to the family and friends we make for but gives back to the wider quilting community too. Blogging has real value.

I'm not talking about monetary value and sponsorship and marketing your goods though that is also a valid reason to start a blog. I'm not sure those reasons are what sustain a blog or a blogger year on year. I will admit that maybe there is a teeny bit of vanity that comes into wanting to share the best bits of your work with the world, kind of like a nice selfie but to be fair it's not all about look at me, I made something pretty, pat me on the back. There's a lot more to it than that, though a pat on the back is always nice to get! And here on quilt blog land people are brilliantly supportive and encouraging which helps with the first thought that came to me on blogging. It takes a bucket load of bravery!

Contrary to popular belief, most quilt bloggers are actually quite shy peeps. And even if you are not normally a shy person, sharing a bit of yourself with the world online is a little bit scary - especially for those first posts. Too many words, not enough pictures. You write them awkwardly at first, maybe you are not used to blogging and have yet to find a groove. Safer to keep them published but private before taking the plunge and making your blog public and findable on search engines. I never read my first posts - I think I would be afraid to!
My original blog banner!
Here's the second thing about blogging, it's bloody hard work! So many decisions to make when starting a blog: what background to use on your blog, what font, which image for the header, how to write the about me bit so you don't give away too much about your family and make them mad at you but are still friendly and approachable? How to make your space online a comfy safe place to share that people will want to visit with you. Because I think that's really what it's all about at the end of the day, that's what sustains me at least- making friends, having a chat, sharing a good story, helping out with a tip, teaching a technique and spreading the joy that being creative brings and sometimes, just playing with lovely fabric! So if it is a little bit vain, it is only a little bit.

The writing part does get easier, you find your groove. The photographs get better as you take more time over them. Blog posts get more polished and informative. Blogging will surprise you.  Posts you spend hours on, putting large parts of yourself into will disappear into the ether.  Others you write in no time at all will somehow resonate with your readers.  It can be very unpredictable.  The blog itself gets fancier as you learn more about html, adding links to photos, making grids, adding numbers to comments. You create more content and over time add more interesting places for people to visit like Tutorial pages, Galleries, Patterns and you put yourself out there even more joining in Blog Hops and linky parties. The dreaded about me page gets an update but still there is that fear to overcome - what if no one visits, what if people don't like what I make, what if no one comments which can make it feel like what if no one likes me?

Even now 4 1/2 years blogging & quilting I still that get that niggling fear of self-doubt. As you get to know more people, opportunities come along that push those buttons again. Running my first quilt a long and getting ready to teach my first class this month has given me moments of what if… all over again. What if no one links up, what if I'm not ready, what if I can't teach my way out of a paper bag, what if I forget my power cord to my machine (I've done that!)…

Things like The New Bloggers Blog Hop are a brilliant way to help with some of this and be supportive while you figure all of these things out. Most of my best bloggy friends are those I met on past Let's Get Acquainted/New Bloggers blog hops and these are the people I turn to for advice time and time again!
The blog hop this year is made up of three groups and are being looked after by Yvonne @Quilting Jet Girl, Cheryl @ Meadow Mist Designs and Stephanie @ Late Night Quilter. If you have a moment please reward these new bloggers bravery and hard work with a visit to their blogs, leave a comment and say hi - it will be greatly appreciated!

For my part if I had any advice for myself of 4 years ago, I think I would say:
  • Be brave, what's the worst that could happen?
  • Take your time - build good content and give your space time to grow.
  • Ignore the stats pages and the number of followers on bloglovin'. Don't get hung up on anybody's else's numbers - do your own thing.
  • Give back, visit and comment on others blog posts - you have to put yourself out there to make friends.
  • Enjoy the process and most importantly have fun! 

I can't imagine now, not writing and have learned so much not just about quilting but grown as a person, learned about branding/marketing, creating, designing and have made wonderful friends. I don't regret it for a second!

What advice would you give a new blogger? And if you don't yet blog are you tempted?

44 comments:

  1. Great post Ruth, it really strikes a chord. I have been blogging since January, and I'm in the New Quilters Blog Hop in Miss-Bee Hivin'. I had followed blogs for about 19 months and it made such a difference to my quilting. I started smilesfromkate because I felt I was missing out, and I wanted to contribute, to somehow pay back for all the help and tuition I had received in some small way. Five months later I am loving it. To anyone thinking about it I would say 'go for it', what have you got to loose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I love the button you guys came up with. I took part 2 years ago and it was brilliant to be able to ask questions and see how many people were struggling with the same questions as I was. Looking forward to your post on the hop!

      Delete
  2. I have been blogging for many years. The one thing that has happened with me is certain parts of life get in the way sometimes and or a part of the interest that goes with blogging can create long gaps of "non interest" where I just do not blog for long periods. So my advice is to just always treat your blog as your own and do not worry about someone else who blogs everyday and you only want to share once in awhile. There is nothing wrong with that just keep your blog your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great advice. You can put a lot of pressure on yourself to keep up and at first I was posting 2-3 times a week. Now I find once a week, sometimes twice much more manageable. Allowing yourself a break can be very rejuvenating too!

      Delete
  3. This was a very interesting post Ruth . I don't think we can underestimate the help we give each other . I know none of my "real" friends get it but it is something I enjoy . And I was:am so appreciative of your own help and encouragement over the last two years .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, I love following your makes and book reviews and am glad we met on blogland - hopefully in person sometime this year too!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for supportive words. I only started my blog about a month ago and don't know half the things I ought to, but I feel I'm learning))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only found your blog this month Lena and it is gorgeous - your art quilts are beautiful!

      Delete
  5. I was so eager to read this post and found myself nodding in agreement the whole time. Putting myself out there through a blog was a hard decision and yet one of the best I have ever made. I am so grateful to have met you 2 years ago during our own New Bloggers group, and I am excited for others to Jon and add their voices to our community. Thanks for this wonderful post and reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne and thank you to you, Cheryl and Stephanie for taking on the new bloggers hop, keeping it going and growing our online community!

      Delete
  6. Though I'm not a new blogger anymore I very much enjoyed your post and the points you have made are definitely ones I would have come up with. Blogging can be hard work, especially if you aim to post regularly, but the work definitely brings its own rewards, in the sense of belonging and the connection with other quilty bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaja, the encouragement we give each other cannot be emphasised enough. In following your blog and your creative, improvisational approach, I am so inspired and love learning about the creative process and design through the projects you make.

      Delete
  7. Great post Ruth, an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post really resonated with me as someone who has been blogging just over two years. I didn't realize that so many of us are introverts. I am and i'm also quite sensitive so it was interesting to read about how you struggle with some of the things I struggle with....Often I think I'm the only one. Yes it is a lot of work as well but it does have its rewards. I have real life quilty friends but blogging has let me strike off in my own quilting direction, and given me people to hang out with on the way. I've made my best connections through the new bloggers blog hop but also through link ups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good point Lisa. Link up parties are great way to connect with other bloggers and online quilters. My favourite one is coming up soon - pets on quilts!

      Delete
  9. Great write up Ruth! I haven't done any connecting with other blogger activities but have found some interesting people to follow. I hope I am heading to where I want to go but not quite sure yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's a good part of it too Tomomi, the making process is a creative journey and the writing process, sharing that journey has real value too!

      Delete
  10. I love the motto of create before you consume - but I'd count my blogging as part of the create as well as the little scraps of time I piece together to actually get around to making something. I've been blogging for 10 years this February past and I just can't imagine life without it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Carie, I didn't realise you were writing a blog for 10 years! I agree whole heartedly - Writing blog content is creating too!

      Delete
  11. Hi Ruth! What a great post! I totally agree with you about everything! I have blogged almost 6 years and starting that was one of my best decisions. I'm happy I had lots of time when I started because that it takes. For me blogging is to spend time with quilting friends - something that I can't do alive here in Greece. In summer I'm really busy and can't sew much but still I can enjoy reading and seeing what my friends are making. x Teje
    www.nerospostbox.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started quilting I knew no-one who quilted so the online community for me was amazing to discover. I love following your sunny posts from Greece - Nero and Hanna's posts always make me smile and I am often quite envious of the weather too!

      Delete
  12. Ruth this is a WONDERFUL post, and I have to ask: have you been in my head at all lately?!!! LOL, I have that EXACT reaction from real life friends who kind of give you the 'okay that's just weird' look, like you're into video games and that's your real world...um nope! Oh the beautiful souls I have met and treasure through QBL!! From USA to Ireland to New Zealand and now The Netherlands (just found out through a recent giveaway that someone who visits me and vice versa on a semi-regular basis lives there! That nervous, 'does anyone want to know how I do this, and what if they think it's wrong?' feeling when publishing a tutorial, that sharing of some family but not all (my "MacGyver" pops to mind), the visiting, commenting, responding to comments that is integral to meeting people, the joining in, supporting of other bloggers, which I have done, and have experienced, though sadly, recently the non-support as well...so there's that.
    Okay, I was thinking OMG I can't do another QAL, (I saw Yvonne's pull for your rainbow one) but reading this, and being reminded of the beauty you are going to create by seeing the thumbnail at the bottom of the post...I HAVE to join this too!! Can you send me another hour or two in the day please? :-) Besides Rocco wants to support Wilbur and Charly too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Sandra! I think the new blogger blog hop is brilliant for support and seeing that we are all in the same boat together. I wish I had more time for commenting - I've been trying to use my phone in spare moments to follow my favourites in spare minutes that you manage to find in the day! Never seems to be enough time! There are prizes every week on the QAL for any progress made so join in anytime!

      Delete
  13. Great post Ruth, I suspect that most of us blog for similar reasons, to connect with like minded individuals, that have nothing to do with showing off or trying to present an image of perfection that is far from the truth. It is much harder work than I ever thought it would be, the technical aspects of blogging still make my head spin, but also so much more rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona, i'm still learning the tecnical stuff. Only last week I finally figured how to add a link to a photo so when you click on it takes you the page referenced!

      Delete
  14. This is such a wonderful and thought provoking post. I totally agree wit it! Would you allow us (the hosts of the new quilt blogger hop) to link to your post in our upcoming blog hop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great Cheryl - thanks!

      Delete
  15. Ruth everything you wrote here is so "Spot On!" and helpful. I'm thankful that you wrote this post - it helped me and it will help a lot of others too.

    Blogging does take bravery for me and it surprised me that you said it does for you, because you seem so natural and comfortable here. I think you are right that a lot of creative bloggers are shy people. When I first started blogging it was because it was suggested as a way to deal with the social isolation of hearing loss. And my family at first referred to the friendships that developed as my "pretend friends" Thankfully it didn't take them long to catch on and realize how very real and wonderful blogging friends are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lara, not knowing anyone into quilting when I first started it helped a lot with the isolation of sewing alone at the kitchen table. I hadn't thought of the connections we make online as a way to deal with things like hearing impairment. Makes it all the more valuable to me now to realise that.

      Delete
  16. Such a great post to read and wonderful to hear how much you got out of participating in the NQB hop a few years ago. I am taking part this year and it's been wonderful so far and I hope certain connections made will last well after the Blog Hop ends. It's funny I blogged many years ago but did it anonymously - I would have hated for people to know it was me .... isn't that funny? This time around it's a really different journey and I am loving it. The friendships, the support, the generosity of quilters I have come across has been phenomenal. I'm taking part in your first QAL and really looking forward to it (should have been doing my fabric pull tonight but have got caught up in blogland!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prepared a photography blog on Wordpress years ago and didn't post a single thing! This time around sharing about patchwork and quilting seems easier and I think that is all down to the support and friendliness of our online community.

      Delete
  17. I can relate to all of this. Well said, Ruth. Yes, it is bloody hard work. No, I cannot give a sensible answer why it seemed like a good idea to start a blog when quizzed by non-bloggers. (I usually mutter something about online diary and community.)
    I really agree with your point about ignoring stats and doing your own thing.
    As for advice for new bloggers - learn how to use apostrophes. Most people forgive most else. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have apostrophes down but I tend to overuse the exclamation mark! Proof reading and re-reading before posting definitely helps.

      Delete
  18. Thaks Ruth for sharing your thoughts on blogging with us. As other before me have mentioned already, you stike a few chords in your post. From friends giving you weird looks when you say you blog about sewing to blogging being hard work. All very true. Thank you for sharing your tips with us as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks too for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  19. Loved this post and I definitely found myself nodding agreement with. As a newbie I'm a little disheartened to hear that the bundle of insecurities about my quilt blogging will still remain after 4 1/2 years! I think I better just get over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Sue that it is just being human at the end of the day - we don't always have it all figured out online and the support and help we give each other is as important 4 years down the road as day one I think!

      Delete
  20. Hi Ruth...I so enjoyed your post and everyone's comments! SMILES! Blogging has become my virtual quilting guild that I do not have available in my community. I value the friendships and community of quilty bloggers we have together. Welcome to the newbies...enjoy the process...it's a wonderful, wonderful adventure. Blogging is like have a conversation with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val! I made my first quilt by following Jenny Doan of Missouri Star and at that time I knew no one who quilted. Without the online community I might have stopped at that first quilt. So glad we have a positive and joyful community online always willing to support and celebrate a newbie quilter!

      Delete
  21. This is a great post, Ruth. I can so relate to your "what if no one links up?" fears!! I'm running my first quilt-a-long now and every month when I see someone's progress I want to do a little dance because I'm not just talking to myself! I started a newsletter recently, too, and every time someone signs up I get excited about it, lol. It is hard to be brave about putting yourself out there, but it's so rewarding too. Other people may never get it, but this virtual quilting community is a wonderful place to be :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne! I've been following you on feedly since we met on the new bloggers a few years ago - I didn't realise you had a newsletter - fantastic. Just signed up!

      Delete
  22. Thanks for your insights and encouragement. It seems like many of us new bloggers have the same insecurities. I'm so appreciative of the advice and support from everyone participating in the 2016 New Quilt Bloggers hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are taking part and really enjoyed visiting your blog!

      Delete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...