As the blocks are only 9" finished we decided to make as many as we could between us. Some of the blocks have quite a few pieces, approximately 2" and as you can see there is a bit of piecing in them.
I had block numbers 9 to 12 and then decided to do one more. I used a mixture of Sunnyside by Kate Spain and Coquette by Chez Moi from layer cake 10" squares for my blocks.
Because there are so many small pieces, any inaccuracies in seam allowance builds up. We ended up with 4 different sizes in the end between the 6 of us. We all used different fabric ranges with a theme of Spring in mind and decided to sash the blocks to unify the whole quilt and help control the final size.
We auditioned a few fabrics but decided that Navy would work well with all the blocks. So last weekend I cut 3" strips and chain pieced away. Side pieces were 9.5" long and the top pieces were 14.5" long.
I kept the sashing on the large side so we have options in the layout. Tomorrow night, we can have fun laying them out. I love this bit, arranging, re-arraning and swapping around! We could do a straight layout or an offset one and trim the borders back.
If you want to try any of these Sylvia's Stitches has collated them all on her blog along with links to the designers they were allocated to. Some of the designer links don't work anymore but the block links all work perfectly fine. They are all sitting in a pile at home now and I can't wait to bring them to the group for the next stage of putting them all together!
Linking up to