This quilt top came about from a fabric swap and challenge with our branch of the Irish Patchwork Society. You can get sixteen 2 1/2"squares from a strip of fabric so we worked out a plan that if you had 25 strips you would have 400 squares - enough for a baby quilt or something bigger if you added from stash which most of us did and our finished quilts all turned out so different from each other.
Each person cuts 25 strips of fabric or jelly roll strips from stash. Cut each strip into 16 squares. Take 1 square from each strip and make 16 different piles, each containing 25 different squares. Take 16 plastic bags (like ziploc or sandwich bags) and place 1 pile into each bag and write your name or initials on the front. Keep 1 bag and donate 15 to the group pile. You get 15 bags back and depending on how many people sign up you may get some of your own back or all different.
I also added over a 100 light grey hexagons to connect the flowers into rows. I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have used a darker colour as it almost blends in with the background.
I used 1" Hexagons as they are a really good fit for 2 1/2" squares and I had a bag of them from quilt now magazine so I only had to cut out 10 more printed pages of them! And I used each paper piece more than once - I think its about 550 Hexagons in this altogether!
I had to modify my design a bit in the making as I changed my mind on the layout and didn't have enough white fabric (backing fabrics are from Dashwood Studios range Nature Trail that I bought from LoveFabric.ie) so I ended up with 1 row less than intended but to be fair this is pretty big and covers our standard double bed with overhang! About 80" x 95" in total.
So my first finished flimsy of 2016. It's massively girly and I love it! I've fallen in and out of love with this one so many times since I started it in November but am back to liking it again. So, so, happy it's done at last. My hands are hanging off me and need a break already. I ended up glueing these all in place (with Roxanne's basting glue!) and am hoping to top stitch them through the quilt sandwich when I get my machine back. I'm thinking of adding a line of black hand quilting around each flower row to add a bit of definition. I think it needs it and by the time I get around to that my hands will have recovered! Hope your new year is off to flying start too!