Monday 9 February 2015

Layers of Charm, Fat Quarter Shop Shortcut Quilt


A couple of months ago, I received an email, asking me if I wanted to take part in a blog hop with Fat Quarter Shop.  Imagine my reaction.  My first thought was Fat Quarter Shop know my name!  And then I thought of course they do I buy from them all the time! And then I thought definitely yes I want to make Layers of Charm.  I love the short cut series having made Charm Pack Cherry and Fat Quarter Fizz.  So welcome to my stop on the Fat Quarter Shop, Layers of Charm blog hop! 

The pattern requires 1 layer cake and 1 charm pack  or thirty six 10" squares and thirty six 5" squares.    A printed layer cake and a solid charm pack is recommended.

As soon as I saw the pattern I couldn't stop thinking about Solids!  I thought maybe the 1930's Colours Bella Solids would be fun but I settled for the Modern Bella Solids in greys and off whites.  My layer cake and charm pack of Bella Solids white were duly dispatched last November, and then stepped into the quantum leap accelerator that is the Chicago Postal depot, and vanished!

I did eventually get my hands on that elusive layer cake and put the quilt top together.  Instead of using all solids in the centres, I cut up one of each layer cake colour to give me 20 squares and added 16 solid white.  I really like this quilt top but have to admit I am somewhat relieved it was not my main blog hop quilt.  Quilting this one has me running scared.  All that open space.  How would you quilt it?  Straight line, free motion?


In the meantime though, while Moderns was wandering around the world, I decided that Layers of Charm would be perfect for large scale prints that I usually have trouble figuring out what to do with!

I had some yardage of these fabrics by Amy Butler and decided to cut a 10" strip from 9 different fabrics.  I was able to get four 10" squares from each strip and used Moda Bella Porcelain for my 5" squares.  I love this colour and it may be my new background fabric of choice this year.

In the end I didn't like the stripey fabric dominating too much and swapped 2 out for a blue dot.   And this is the finished quilt!

Winter weather interfered with getting lovely location shots, so I tried a few photos in trusty places.  I usually use this fence to take outdoor close ups of quilting.  Wilbur was getting a bit agitated as I was pegging the quilt up and when I stepped back to take the shot, he dived in digging and came out with a rawhide bone!  He's a bit of a digger and he has 4 or 5 spots around the garden.  Guess this is his latest one!  Sorry Wilbs for invading your spot!

I quilted this with an all over flower pattern and wrote about it and solving tension problems on my machine on this post.


I left Wilbur to chewing his bone and decided to try some indoor window shots to give you a better view of the quilting.


I really like the effect on this quilt but it is slower than a wiggly stipple and gives some challenges moving around the quilt top.  You have to be careful to not leave too empty a space.  I used my favourite Aurifil light pink 50wt thread #2410 for the entire quilt. I love that thread colour, it just seems to go with everything!

For the backing, I used 4 different prints I had on hand in half yard cuts.  I just sewed them together 2 per row and trimmed off the excess.




Trying to match binding was a little bit tricky with so many colours in the quilt top.  Mum suggested Navy, Gordon went for orange but in the end I had to trust my instinct and go with this green stripe, again from Amy Butler.


I turned away from  the table to make a cup of tea and came back to find Charly, on guard, perched on top.  There are two terriers bigger than her that walk past our house on a Sunday morning, Spot & Buddy.  She does not like them!  She does like doing a Princess and the Pea impression though. 


Sorry Charly you can't keep this one either!  This is going to my friend Caitriona.  I kept getting reminded of our holiday in China (4 of us spent 22 days there - best holiday ever!) and this, I think, is Caitriona's style.  Hope she likes it!

The fog didn't lift for the whole day yesterday.  Final photo artfully draped over the sofa (artful draping is not easy!).

So, what do you think?  Feel like making a Layers of Charm Quilt?  Solids or print?

The video will be available today on You Tube and Kimberly shows step by step instructions and some handy hints for pressing seams open.

You can also download the free pattern at Fat Quarter Shop where there is a whole host of free patterns and video tutorials including Layers of Charm.  There are size options for a table runner all the way up to a King Size bed quilt.

This really was a fun, very quick to piece and very versatile quilt pattern.  Probably the quickest quilt top I've pieced to date.  If you have large scale prints, looking to make something quickly or just want to use up a layer cake feeling unloved in your stash, why not give Layers of Charm a try?

Linking up to Finish it Friday

33 comments:

  1. Amy Butler prints are so perfect for this pattern! The large pieces really do help show it off.

    I like your solid one too but I think I would also be too intimidated to quilt it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the quilting, I'd probably treat the layer cake slices around the edge as a border and quit it differently. So starting from the middle I'd use a stencil or a simple shape with a marker or pencil and them embellish it going round in layers and then with the borders do some kind of all over FMQ pattern. If it were me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect! I have lots of large-scale prints that I LOVE, but, you're right, I don't know what to do with them! I printed out the pattern to make it - yippee! I love your Charly sitting on the quilt - just like a cat would do. And good drape job - it's NOT easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really, really like your solids version and can't wait to see it finished! The large scale prints work really well with this pattern, and I am excited to see the reveal of your FMQing here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both your versions are amazing. I love seeing it done in solids as well as from yardage. This is definitely a quilt I would make again. As for the quilting... Something curvy would soften the look, while straight lines would emphasize the angles. What appeals to you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the large scale prints are perfect for this! And I love your quilting - just beautiful : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture of Charly perched on your quilt is nownone of my favorites! I lreally like both versions of your quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like both versions, but especially the Amy Butler prints. So bright and cheerful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your solids version is my favorite from the pattern that I'd seen until I scrolled down to see the version with the prints. Fantastic quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although it's not quite my style, I think the paisley-like florals look really great in the pattern. The white and grey version is lovely as well. I can't believe your fabrics got lost in the mail!! Maybe we can blame it on Juno...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving both of these. I'm always looking for ways to use large scale prints and I think this is a winner. But I do love that black and white version. Could be so fun to quilt. Personally I would look for some pattern or design to set off the octagon shapes from the diamonds. So many options!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love BOTH of your quilts and I thought the same thing about fabrics I really don't know what to do with but don't want to just give away or cut up... this is perfect for those so you can combine them into a simple quilt, quick and easily too! Your quilts really are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go, trying two distinctly different fabric selections! I love your floral quilting, and the eclectic, vibrant vibe the Amy Butler quilt has. I have no brilliant suggestions for quilting the other one, but I'm sure you'll figure out something well-suited.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love BOTH of them! It will be interesting to see what you do with quilting on the solid one! Also love how you used up some larger prints, this quilt lends itself perfectly to the fabrics you selected :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love everything about this! the fabrics, the quilted flowers, everything! and i love the other top as well...can't wait to see if you finish it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that this appears to sew up fast and pretty too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Charly definitely approves. He and my cat could swap princess and the pea notes.
    I think, having seen these two, I would go prints all the way, but it is such fun to see the same pattern look so very different depending on the fabric.
    Yes, artful draping is not easy! Please give me pointers as I always fail.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love both your quilts, but the Amy Butler especially really appeals to me - a great way to show off these fabrics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea to use the larger scale prints. I would get my Angela Walters on and quilt the snot out of that black and white one!!! I LOVE LOVE the addition of your dogs to the post. They add so much to a sewing world, who am I kidding, to LIFE, don't they? Tea is good too...so is chocolate... Charly perched on the folded up quit just cracks me up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfect pattern for those big bold prints! I will be making this pattern from my AB fabrics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have the same problem with big prints. Love them, they are so pretty, but so hard to use in a quilt. Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are soooo talented! Such difference in the two quilts! The quilting is amazing too...Looooove them both! Grrrreat job!!

    Thanks for sharing how you cut regular fabrics for the 10" squares too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love both versions of the quilt! Thanks for sharing both.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all your Layers of Charm Ruth. LOL
    That photo of Charly is the cutest thing ever! And Wilbur... that is so funny how he knows where his hiding spots are.
    You did a Great job with your quilting - I love how your design works with the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Both quilts are beautiful, the quilting is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love that flower version! Gorgeous!! On the other hand, grey one is nice too, very minimum!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have said it in other comments on this quilt and you my dear nailed my point - isn't it amazing how different the very same pattern can look by the change of fabric - incredible. OK, the solid black and white one is my favorite!! I agree with Sandra, quilt the snot out of it! Your quilting on the print quilt looks fabulous!! You can do it and it will be awesome :) I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great way to use large prints. It looks great. And your quilting is awesome. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, this post really highlights what a difference fabric choices make. At first glance I didn't even notice they were the same pattern. I agree this is a great way to use large scale prints but also love the under-stated greys and whites. No idea how to quilt it, but will be interested to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Both quilts look great and it is amazing to see how using solids and print fabric changes the feel of the quilt! You puppy is so cute and looks so noble on the quilt LOL Great job Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have a layer cake hanging around with large prints on it ... you've got me thinking! Lovely quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a versatile design! I love to think of all to color, fabric, and quilting options.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! It's amazing how much of a different look you can get just by changing out the fabrics! I love both versions and have been pondering a nice simple quilt for my bed, this may be just that pattern i need!
    And how cute is that shot of Charly!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...