Friday 6 December 2013

Evolution of a quilt block

I've been a bit under the weather this week and very busy with work so no time spent at the sewing machine.  Rather I've been buried under a quilt on the sofa in the evenings catching up on Vikings on the telly and playing with a block from The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns by Jinny Beyer

This block is identified as Bachelor's puzzle from around 1931.  Tiled it makes a lovely pattern like this:
When I first drafted it into my Mac I started with no colour and deliberately didn't look at the coloured version to see where it would take me and just playing with it.
 Then I turned it on point and got this:
 which looks like way too much work and I think I'd cry making so many of these all the same.  Scrappy blocks might be an option!

Looking at the original again though I thought maybe fussy cut paper pieced blocks would be nice in this setting.
So I went back a step and came up with this design:
16 fussy cut squares might have been too much in the centre so I removed 3 and centered the last one.  Using 4" fussy squares this would be a really nice 40" baby quilt.  I'm thinking I might just do this with the Christmas swap squares!

So last night, feeling like staying by the fire and not going into the kitchen where my sewing machinve lives I revisited this and made the squares solids and came up my final version of Bachelors puzzle a-la- Ruth 2013! I'm calling it Bachelors Walk.
 
I like both colourways but am leaning towards the darker 4 colour option.   I think it would look really good in Amy Butler fabric designs too.  Tiled they look like this
 and adding in a few more colours
So I'm going to call this done now and stick with this as my final design!  Shopping for the right colour fabrics for this one will be fun.  I might just have to splash out and buy a Kona colour card!

So what do you think? Original or final result?

3 comments:

  1. Oh Ruth that's a lovely looking block. It looks oriental to me and I can see it in Japanese fabrics - which is completely the opposite of the lovely Amy Butler! Funny how the same blocks reads in different ways to different quilters. Can't wait to see you put this one in action :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the layouts you have. That will be one awesome Christmas fussy square quilt. I can't wait to see what you do with them. I have a kona card and love having it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all, but the last one completely speaks to me. I cannot wait to see type fabrics you choose and the final result. Happy sewing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...