I made a bag! No it doesn't have a zip, (haven't learned that bit yet!) and it is missing a button and a tiny bit of binding in the inside where the top flap meets the body, so it's still a work in progress and oh so nearly a finish. I picked this pattern from Creative Quilting, (a one off magazine from last year), as a possible To Do item for Chezetcook's Library project. You go through the books and magazines you've bought but not used and pick at least 4, or more, items to work on for 2014.
The front and back are made up of a 9 patch of charms, quilted to some wadding. I wanted the darkest fabric on the bottom, where it might see the floor every now and then. The pattern said the usual - quilt as desired! So, I quilted the front with some decorative stitching along the seams and a curved diagonal line across the patches (it was quick and really easy!)
For the top flap (3 x 2 charms) and the back panel I quilted in wavy vertical lines. There is a setting on my machine for this so I set it for the longest and widest stitch it would do. I rounded the edges of the flap with the smallest saucer I could find in our kitchen! I pinned a loop to the middle of the curved edge that got trapped when I joined my lemon lining fabric 3 sides around and I like how it lies nicely when it's all turned right side out.
The bottom of the bag is boxed so it sits up all on it's own and I think this would make a great scrap basket. The lining is pinned to the inside wrong sides together and the top flap sewn on by positioning both at the centre back.
The pattern recommends a contrasting fabric for the trim, so I chose lemon. I had a 3/4 yard of it on hand for another project which I've changed my mind about colour wise.
The strap is made up of 6 charm squares sewed and cut in half and joined end to end with some wadding and solid fabric. I think the lemon might get grubby very quickly in the strap (oh well!)
If I was to make this again I'd make the strap longer and overall in a darker colour. The length is about right for me as a shoulder bag and just about right as cross body but I'm a shorty (5 ft zero!) so I think it needs a few more squares added to it.
Still as my first quilted bag, I'm very pleased with it. All in all it used about 30 charm square (5"x5") so a very scrap friendly project and it's 1 done (almost!) on my Library project list. Not bad for an afternoon's work!
Linking up to