Saturday 5 January 2013

My First Quilt

I made a quilt!  I never thought I'd be able to tackle sewing but thanks to you tube and craftsy.com I actually made a whole quilt - ok its a small one but it's so pretty!



I always liked decorative stitching in school but had no patience for hand stitching aprons, peg bags or drawstring duffel bags.  I did try patchwork every now and again with templates for diamonds and even bought a fat quarter bundle from ebay for a broken dishes pattern.  I was never brave enough to cut into the fabric (still have it!).  I tried playing with scraps and didn't get on with it.  Then I bought a Lervia beginners machine in Lidl for 69 Euro with the best of intentions and it sat in the dining room cupboard for a year or two.  Then I started knitting.

I made lovely, chunky, warm, wooly hats, cowls and mittens with patterns found on ravelry.com and gifted them to family and friends.  I saw a craftsy course on introductory offer for custom fitting knitted tops with Stephanie Japel.  I signed up and loved it!  So I thought I'd try patchwork again.  I signed up for Quilting Quickly with Jenny Doan and bought 2 charm packs of Jennifer Paganelli fabric.  Well it was all cut up so that was that hurdle already tackled.  I learned 1/4 seam, pressing to the dark, nesting seams and made this small lap quilt:


Just two charm packs laid out to break up matching patterns and a bit of contrast between blocks quilted simply in the ditch with diagonals through the corners.  I had never tried binding before and so my wonderfully talented Aunty Pat finished the binding for me.  I love it!  So happy how this turned out. It has found a permanent home folded on the Roman chair above.  This one I am hanging onto.


2 comments:

  1. what a sweet first quilt! it's funny how one quilt can get you hooked! thanks so much for playing along at my link party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, it's beautiful! I love Jennifer's fabrics - nice choice. Those basic patterns really show off pretty fabrics well. Good job. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...