Wednesday 16 January 2013

Whipstich Essential Quilt E-Course part 3


This is the final blog of a 3 part series documenting my blocks made while taking Whipstitch's e-course Essential Quilting over at http://www.whipstitchfabrics.com/ .  The previous two posts covered my blocks made with strips, squares, half square and quarter square triangles.  This final post shows the centre block and the quilt assembly.   

When I saw that we were doing a Dresden plate block I just knew I wanted this to be the centre of my quilt top.  In terms of weight it just seems to draw the eyes attention and I felt it unbalanced the quilt in every position but the centre where it now resides.  


I used mostly scraps for the blades and decided again I had to use the mustard colour to balance the other blocks. 
I cannot believe how easy this is and how complicated it looks! Seriously I have great plans for a laminate blanket for the summer holidays using this block. 

So to make sure I was happy with the layout I used the spare bedroom and laid them all out on the bed.  (I originally envisaged this quilt living in this space but I love the end result so much it's found a home in the living room to snuggle under while watching TV).

  

Layout decided, the next question was to sash or not to sash?  My fellow students helped with than on Flickr and sashing was the way to go.   I had an idea of dark blue maybe to use and not having much stash and no real confidence in the colour choice I decided I needed help from the professionals.   So off I went to my local quilt shop and Maeve at www.quilt.ie was a great help.  I brought six of my blocks with me and we laid them out in the middle of the shop and tried a few different colours.  I stood on a chair to give some distance and struggled between a lilac print and this navy.  We eventually decided the navy set off the Dresden in the centre the best and as it’s the focal point to go with this.


Backing fabric chosen was Ikea signature numbers  - great value and great with all the colour of the quilt top. I pinned and quilted in the ditch along the sashing.  I also quilted in the ditch for the log cabin and chevron but used outline quilting on all the other blocks bar the Ohio star and the double pinwheel which I hooped and used a flowery pattern on the embroidery adapter for my machine.  I have to say the outline quilting is my favourite.

I found the whole 6 weeks very enjoyable.   We had two live chats, video lessons in quilting, and support on the Flickr group and I can honestly say I would not have this vibrant wonderful quilt if I hadn't taken part.  The e-course and the choice of Karavan FQB really pushed me to see the colours in the bundle and try colours I wouldn't normally be drawn to.  I learned lots and am more confident as a result especially when it comes to cutting into that beautiful fabric.    I could do with lots more practice in the actual quilting (I even tried free motion quilting one block - forgot to drop the feed dogs - another lesson learned!).  All in all for a second quilt I am absolutely thrilled to bits with it!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...