Friday 17 January 2014

Bordering Blues - a 4 colour blue & white quilt

I'm blue, da ba dee, da ba da, da ba dee da!  Remember that Italian song from the 90's, Eiffel 65?  Little blue guy driving a blue Corvette?  Sorry if you do, cause it'll be stuck in your head like mine for a while!  But seriously all my projects this week and those on the design wall are blue! 

I've started this project from last year that evolved from playing with a traditional block and I had intended to make it an 80" size using 4" strips.  I just had  this vision of it in my head with giant blocks laid out on a double bed.
But for some reason instead of using 40" when I went to calculate the material I would need to buy I used a 20" block as the basis.  Yes I am a dope!  I had it all worked out and was delighted with the fabric colours and then when I got home and started working out the cutting, I realised my mistake.  That's what happens when you pat yourself on the back too quickly!  At least I hadn't gone too far to correct it.

So having only enough to make a 40" square design as is, I'm adding a 10" border all the way around and instead of a bed quilt, this is going to become a 60" throw!  I think that'll work. 

There's quite a lot of white in the block itself and in the edge to edge design I quite liked it. Not sure about it in the bordered design.   Gordon tells me it looks fine and I guess I'm committed now so this it!

One block done, 3 more to go!

3 comments:

  1. interesting block. looking forward to the finish:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Love the blues you're using, such a nice pop off the white!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo this is going to be goooood! and yes, that song is now stuck in my head ...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...