Thursday 24 April 2014

Library Project update: Ticker Tape Wilbur Quilt

One of my projects that I've had to put aside for a small while, while I work on other WIP's is my ticker tape Basset Hound project.

This is one of my Library projects (Make something from the books and magazines you buy!) hosted by Chezzetcooks Modern Quilts.  I saw this elephant in Scrap Happy Quilting and thought it would be really cool as a Basset.

As it's linkup time I thought I'd share the progress I've made so far!


Wilbur has a head!  And that's about it!

I'm using scraps from my very first pieced quilt and they are from Karavan by Valorie Wells.  I'm liking the colours; they seem to suit a Basset!  The outline is hand sewn with Perle Cotton in orange and I spray basted this one as it is a small enough project (about 40" wide).  The traditional ticker tape method is to sew down with a straight stitch and let the edges unravel. 


Thing is I don't like it for his head.  Admittedly my straight stitching should probably be more towards the edge than that above but after sewing down this much I put the project away while I dithered about what to do. 


In the end I decided on a zig-zag stitch.  I was concerned it wouldn't give a nice outline on the back of the quilt but I like it a lot!


Unpicking the straight stitch quilting I didn't like so much!  Just for this small section it took ages!  Trying to unpick teeny starting and stopping stitches is headwrecking and it makes me wonder why I go to the bother of burying threads at all, they are really hard to get out! 

But the unpicking is done now and when I get some of my projects with a deadline completed, I know where I am with this, and I hope it will finish up quickly.  He does need a body, 4 paws and a tail after all.  So not a lot of progress but a little all the same and a plan.  So hopefully this time next month he'll be finished!

To see what everyone else is up to I'm linking up with
Chezzetcook Modern Quilts
Needle and Thread Thursday

12 comments:

  1. Wilbur is looking great :) I am not a fan of ripping either and I have done my share over the last couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I will have to try this sometime in the future. Looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had great fun trying to sketch Wilbur's outline but had a bit of trouble with the body so googled Basset Silhouette and found an outline perfect for this. I think it would be cool with lots of different shapes.

      Delete
  3. "Wilbur" looks wonderful with zig zagged edges! Half the battle is having a plan, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh this is coming along so wonderfully! I love what a fun and whimsical nature the ticker tape fill adds to the shape. And what's more fun and whimsical than a basset hound to begin with? ;) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you have picked this project back up. I love it! Makes me want to make one too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your ticker tape project. I made one a few years ago and it is my favourite quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so great. The fabrics are beautiful and I just love your doggie shape! Thanks for linking up with TLP!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a neat idea. I like how you are doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your bright, happy fabrics, and this is such a cool method!

    Thanks so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  10. That choice of fabric for the eye area is wonderful! I really love this. I've been wanting to do something mosaic for a poodle quilt. Granted I've made several including poodles already but still. Inspiration happens daily and your mosaic like basset is inspiring. Would you be awfully upset if I did some kind of version of a mosaic poodle? LeeAnna Paylor Not Afraid of Color! lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...