This is one of my Library projects (Make something from the books and magazines you buy!) hosted by Chezzetcooks Modern Quilts. I saw this elephant in Scrap Happy Quilting and thought it would be really cool as a Basset.
As it's linkup time I thought I'd share the progress I've made so far!
Wilbur has a head! And that's about it!
I'm using scraps from my very first pieced quilt and they are from Karavan by Valorie Wells. I'm liking the colours; they seem to suit a Basset! The outline is hand sewn with Perle Cotton in orange and I spray basted this one as it is a small enough project (about 40" wide). The traditional ticker tape method is to sew down with a straight stitch and let the edges unravel.
Thing is I don't like it for his head. Admittedly my straight stitching should probably be more towards the edge than that above but after sewing down this much I put the project away while I dithered about what to do.
In the end I decided on a zig-zag stitch. I was concerned it wouldn't give a nice outline on the back of the quilt but I like it a lot!
Unpicking the straight stitch quilting I didn't like so much! Just for this small section it took ages! Trying to unpick teeny starting and stopping stitches is headwrecking and it makes me wonder why I go to the bother of burying threads at all, they are really hard to get out!
But the unpicking is done now and when I get some of my projects with a deadline completed, I know where I am with this, and I hope it will finish up quickly. He does need a body, 4 paws and a tail after all. So not a lot of progress but a little all the same and a plan. So hopefully this time next month he'll be finished!
To see what everyone else is up to I'm linking up with