Tuesday 29 April 2014

Modern Irish Bee April Blocks - wonky log cabin



The last of April's Bee Blocks were for Anna for the Modern Irish Bee hosted on the Modern Quilt Guild of Ireland blog page.  Anna chose a wonky log cabin block with a fussy cut piece off centre.
 

Pulling out brightly coloured scraps intermingled with low volume pieces was great fun.  Don't expect a tidy worktable making these blocks.  They are a great way to play with fabric scraps and really good fun!


I even managed to use the last of the scraps I received with this pincushion from Rosie as a swap item in the blocks.  So far the fabrics that Rosie sent me have found a way into all my Modern Irish Bee blocks and my Medallion quilt so all our group so far is benefiting from Rosie's kindness.  Love that!


Who would have thought wonky would be tricky?  It's been a while since I made a wonky log cabin block and I did find my first attempt turned out more square than wonky!


I think I got it on my second attempt though!  Much happier with this one.  Both are winging their way to Anna today.  The tutorial for this is by Aneela Hoey at Comfort Stitching if you want to give it a try!

Linking toSew Cute Tuesday

9 comments:

  1. they look great- wonky can truly be trickier than you think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It surprised me the first one came out so square! Still practive makes perfect. Will be a vibrant interesting quilt top when its assembled!

      Delete
  2. They look wonderful! You did a fantastic job. Your pincushion is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty spring colour! I called them crazy quilts. hmmm.... love the big ruler you have too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brights and low volume are my favorites; these blocks are so fun and happy!!!! Lucky bee mate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blocks! I always find wonky things harder .. I'm not comfortable when there are no rules lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth! These are so adorable. You have such pretty fabrics!
    xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful April blocks, spring fresh!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...