Wednesday 2 April 2014

WIP Wednesday

The Triangle -A-Long at the Sassy Quilter  has started and since I've not done anything with equilateral triangles before and I've heard they can be fussy to work with, I've decided I might as well join in and learn a thing or two!

I don't have many rulers and I try not to buy speciality ones but I did buy this triangular ruler along with a wedge ruler for Dresden plates last year.  I did use the Dresden one but have done nothing with this one.  It doesn't have the creative grids stick to your fabric like glue backing so I've attached a film of Invisigrip by Omnigrid.  It's supposed to aid in griping to your fabric using static cling.  I'll let you know how well it works!

It was also suggested to starch your fabric a lot to help with bias.  I'm rubbish at keeping bias edges straight so not having Best Press in our shops here in Ireland I'm going with the old fashioned stuff. 

I'm using a Florence fat quarter bundle and may have to add more yellows to it as I'm hoping for a rainbow effect from the centre for this quilt.  The idea is based on Anna Maria Horner's design from 2012 called Patchwork Prism.  It is a totally gorgeous design that was offered free and it uses different sized templates.

Paula provided us a blank template to colour in and with the triangles for this project all going to be the same size and I'm hoping it will come out something like this: 
 Well that's the plan anyway! 

To see what everyone else is working on this week I'm linking up to

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Sew Fresh Quilts

12 comments:

  1. This is lovely. I hope it turns out exactly like you envisioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Can't wait to see how yours shapes up. I'm doing it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your design is beautiful! Will you let us know how you like the Invisigrip?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's intriguing, and will be wonderful when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good, Ruth! Lovely fabric choices. Your mock up looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!!!! Love your diagram!!!!!! Will be very pretty!!!!! I am doing this too!!!! So we will be having fun!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks awesome! I am doing this QAL too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy! I have done my triangls last year. My tip is keep the grain of all the triangls in a same direction. That made it easier when stitching strips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never done anything with equilateral triangles, either. Your coloured template looks great. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking of doing this quilt-along too. I'm a bit scared of triangles, so I'm using some leftover random charm squares to try it. My quilt will turn out smaller, but I'm hoping for some good practise! Thanks for the tip on starching :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a beautiful plan! Gorgeous colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your plan looks fabulous!! Great colors :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...