Wednesday 5 November 2014

WIP - Night Sky QAL & Christmas projects

Have you seen Camille Roskelly's new star pattern Night Sky?

To me it looks really Christmassy, must be the time of year or the Christmas to do list but this starry quilt is calling to me!

Jana @ Jana Machado is having a quilt-a-long using this pattern which is available to buy on sale at Fat Quarter shop here as pattern of the month!

I met Jana this year on the Let's Get Acquainted blog hop run by Plum and June.  It was a fantastic blog hop and there have been so many connections made and even quilt bees started from it that when Jana asked me if I wanted to quilt along with her I jumped right in.

Jana has organised prizes  for the Quilt-A-Long and has even given away a copy of this pattern last week.  We are one week into it and Jana is sharing her first row of blocks already!  I'm only at the fabric pull stage!

The pattern quilt finishes at 64" x 80" and uses 28 fat quarters plus background fabric.  I'm planning on making mine a little smaller by eliminating the last column and the last 2 rows and finishing closer to 50" for a baby present.

I'm going scrappy because I don't have the 20 or so fat quarters in Christmas fabrics I will need so I'm using what's left of a layer cake of Joy by Kate Spain (you'd be surprised how much you can get from a layer cake) and some new fabric from Fluffy Sheep Quilting called Folk Art Holiday.  What do you think?  Want to join the fun?  The details are on Jana's blog here!

I still need to make a Christmas cushion for my Modern Irish Quilters swap.  Partners were assigned yesterday and having read my partners likes, I know exactly what I want to make!  Before there was Love Patchwork and Quilting magazine, there was Love Quilting and Patchwork.  It came out twice to see how the market would take to it and we loved it.  In Autumn 2013 edition Katy Jones @ I'm A Ginger Monkey had a paper piecing pattern using hexagons,rectangles and triangles.  I'm hoping to make a Christmas version with red blue and green on a white frosty background.

The branch I'm in of the Irish Patchwork Society are having a Christmas Stocking challenge and I'm hoping to make one with an embroidered version of this Rudolph card pattern I found in one of mum's old craft magazines Crafts Beautiful from November 2013.

So that's the plan!  We'll see how far this little bit of fabric will stretch with some Kona Snow and Navy thrown in!  I have a feeling there will be a trip to the quilt shop needed too!

Linking up to
My Quilt InfatuationWIP Wednesday at Freshly PiecedSew Fresh Quilts

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth! That quilt pattern is beautiful and perfect for Christmas! I love your Fabrics and was also drawn to 'Folk Art Holiday'. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think it is great you are going to join in with Jana. I like your idea to modify it down a bit smaller, and I can't wait to see how your blocks come together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cannot wait to see how this one comes together, Ruth! Your fabric pull is yummy and this is sure to be a fabulous quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fabric pull. It will be great in any size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopped over from Needle and Thread Thursday. Your fabric selection caught my yey. What a great quilt that will be!
    And that Reindeer is ridiculously cute!
    I hope you will stop by and say hi on my blog too.
    HollyBeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this sounds like a very festive to-do list! Good luck on all the projects, and can't wait to see how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...