Tuesday 18 March 2014

March Stash Bee Hive 10 Slashed Blocks


Ever have one of those days where your first attempt at a block goes really wrong but the second attempt goes together effortlessly?  Well I'm having one of those days!  This slashed block for Stash Bee hive 10 for March is actually a really fun block to make (on the second attempt!)


My first attempt resulted in a really wonky block, far from square!  Cyndi did ask that we not trim and send untrimmed for her to do the honours.  I can see why!  Still there was no way to get an 8" out of this after all the wonky inserts so I made a second one.


It starts with an 8" square of background fabric and take a slice through it in a gentle curve with the rotary cutter.  Sew in a 1" strip, rotate the block and take another slice.   Straight lines and gentle curves seem to work best.


I made a not so gentle curve, this on my second attempt!  I really didn't want to have to make a third so inserting this strip required lots of pins!


After the curves I stuck to straight lines to finish it off!  And the wonky one?  I've trimmed it to 6.5" and thinking it might make a cute notebook cover a la Fairy Face Designs Put your scraps to Work!  

If you want to try slashed blocks the tutorial for this one is on Stash Bee here and the free Craftsy Block of the Month 2012 with Amy Gibson has a brilliant video showing how to make two versions.  These are the ones I made 2 years ago.


Yes it's been 2 years since I made a slashed block - no wonder I needed the first one to practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...