Wednesday 5 March 2014

WIP - Another border on the Medallion Baby quilt


The insatiable fabric monster, aka Hexie Baby Medallion Quilt, is chugging along.  I've been working on this and only this and am still behind for today's status update with the MQG of Ireland Quilt-A-Long!  Oh well, I  am making progress - did I mention handstitching hexagons is a slow, easy going kind of a thing?  I still need to stitch in the balloon/basket lines and add the clouds in the centre panel. I have watched 17 episodes of Persons of Interest while making this so far, plus the odd episode of Midsomer Murders!


The chequerboard border took 2 fat quarters and is not as square as I would have liked (lots of seams!)  I'm  hoping it will straighten out as I add more to it.  The next border is made up of a frame to grow the quilt top, to make the Maths easier, to add the outside row of 3" diamonds.













I had hoped to make the diamonds all from scraps but did in the end have to cut into a charm pack from Me & my Sister.  The centre panel hexagons are entirely from scraps.  Last year, the MQG of Ireland had a pin cushion swap and I got this beauty from Rosie, along with some fabric and I've used the fabric for the centre panel and managed to make it stretch for some diamonds too.

I like the idea of the fabric linking the MQGI projects to each other!

I used a low volume polkadot for the frame to keep everything soft and I'm thinking it might be a little too soft.  One of the things we've been learning in Stitched in Color's class, Colour Intensive, is fabrics with a lot of white in them can tone down the saturation of neighbouring colours.  I can see this with my border choices above and though it was a deliberate decision I'm thinking of adding in a skinny border to frame the centre panel and help draw focus inwards. 



What do you think?  Pink to the rescue or not?

 
So this lot needs to be sewn up and then its onto flying geese for the next round.  So glad we have 3 weeks until the next check in because I have 86 of them to make!  Did I mention yet that Medallions use a savage amount of fabric? 

Linking up to Modern Quilt Guild of Ireland and
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Sew Fresh Quilts

11 comments:

  1. Your progress looks like a lot of work to me! I love the diamond border and agree that a skinny strip would help to make it pop! Love seeing this update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Looks like you are having a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, definitely add the pink. That brighter color livens up the whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far this border is my favorite! Love the brights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am loving this quilt and I agree with Lorna, the pink will help make it pop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a happy quilt. I love the pink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, go for the pink! When I think skinny borders, I think peepers, as they are stronger and more interesting. Have you considered that? (Peeper is the Australian term, I think the American term is flange) Anyway, beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love kites and hot air balloons; this is a really fun design you have created!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is looking fantastic! I had no idea that medallion quilts used so much fabric??

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the hexies and the little diamond squares are great too. I find Poirot good for sewing along to as well as Midsummer Murders, don't know Persons of Interest though

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would go with the pink too - seems to balance it out - delighted you are getting use from the pincushion. I got one from Cindy and use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...