Monday 10 August 2015

Design Wall Monday - the Swoon edition

My cousin is getting married next month and I decided to make her a quilt - a Swoon quilt!  I think its a great name for a wedding quilt.

To be fair, I started this quilt way back in the summer of 2013, with the intention of making a quilt for her new apartment, that she would be moving into in the Spring of 2014.  We had been on holidays in Chicago and she took me to a tiny quilt shop filled with 1930's reproduction prints and these guys!
This is Crazy Daisy by Benartex and I thought I'd use the fabric I bought on our shopping trip to make something nice for her.  I figured a Spring deadline, 8 months to make a swoon quilt - easy peasy!  2 years later (she has moved twice since!) and all I had made were 3 blocks and bits for a 4th cut out. Bad, bad cousin!  So feeling a bit guilty, booking flights and thinking all things holidays, I decided to get cracking and bust out of that I don't want to make another Swoon block funk I had going on.
So I made this fiery one.  She is marrying a guy from Brazil and I was going for the hot samba feeling with this one. 
Might have overcooked it a bit as it doesn't quite go with the more flowery blocks from 2 years ago!  As the fabrics are all from the same range, and designed to co-ordinate with each other, I decided to keep going and make a few less contrasty and more mono-chromatic Swoons.
 An Irish flowery version.
 The sun does come our over here from time to time, just not this summer (coldest July in 22 years!)
 Not sure about this one but it seems to work when put up on the wall!
That hot fiery one was still sticking out a bit so I remember reading somewhere, if some thing sticks out as wrong either remove it or add more of the same in so it doesn't stand out on its own!
 So I'm going for add more of the same and seeing what happens!
Linking to Design Wall Monday

18 comments:

  1. I love your Swoon blocks, and I think the "add more of the same" philosophy is exactly right in this situation. Having a mix of "hot" blocks and more subdued blocks will make for a much more interesting quilt than if the blocks were all one way or all the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The swoon block is always great, I love your dark background and how it makes the colors pop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the firey one and adding another to compliment it should balance things out nicely. Angela Walters says of quilting, "Once is a mistake, twice is a design choice." Wise words to live by, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the philosophy of adding more to balance it out so it won't stick out! I'll have to remember that for my future projects, I always have something that sticks out like an oddball. Lol. And lovely swoon blocks, that's a design I want to try eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These blocks are looking great. I love the fiery one! And yep, adding another one will work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The swoon block is something I have always appreciated from afar ... I do love them, but I don't think I could make a whole quilt of them. I really like the fiery one you made ... you'll make it work, you always do :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of your blocks, a Swoon quilt is on my to-do one day list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this fun quilt. I have not yet made a Swoon quilt but will have to get at it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cousin is thrilled with this preview!!! But really, I can't wait to see you all next month. Thank you Ruth! xo, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the warm colours in with the cool ones; it's looking great. Sigh...I so want to make one of these...always gets pushed to the back burner. You think you're a bad cousin, well, I'm a bad auntie...my nephew bought and moved in (and has now finished his basement) to his brand new house 1.5 years ago and I have still not got his quilt done...it's on my list for this 3rd quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blocks are awesome. Can't wait to see more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is looking great! I like your hot coloured blocks, and adding more is my favourite way to fix it if a fabric seems out of place. Keep it up and your cousin will have a magnificent quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hot and fiery block looks great with the other now that you have added in another like it. Together they create a sense of excitement and movement. It's turning into a fabulous quilt Ruth! I especially love how the fabrics look vintage and how the colors pop against the black background!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful blocks, Ruth! I like the fiery one very much and the new blocks you made look great with it. Your cousin will love this quilt.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's coming together nicely. hope you make it time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes – add more of the same and the fiery one will feel right at home. It is looking lovely so far.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...