Wednesday 5 August 2015

Finally Finished!

I was very tempted to wait for Friday to share the finished kitchen but I couldn't wait!
It all started with these tiles.  The quilter in me just couldn't resist them!  They are called Provenzo Deco from Budget Price Tiles and they come in a 4x4 layout so this space just required 3 tiles (1 chopped in half and cut to fit at the top).  Worked out less than 25 euro which is a total bargain I think!
Once the tiles were up, we decided it might be time to paint the walls.  I was thinking about painting the wood panelling for quite a while.  Making a big change like that had me a little worried but quilting does give you more colour confidence and the more I play with fabric, the more hues and tones seem to be out there.  I decided that now was the time to just go for it and G, to be fair, isn't really bothered about these things, so he let me at it!  He did help with the ceiling and got roped in at the end for the high spots!  So, lots of Jasmine White and Gerorgian Cream later it's finally finished!
I can't believe how much brighter and smarter it looks!  I love the spray painted chairs.  Some weeks ago the mother in law and I had great fun with Valspar Spray paint.  We used the paint & primer in one spray cans in 4 different colours, Sandy Peppers, Home from Home, Beet Beat and October Moon.  1 can did a chair, a storage cube, a stool and sections of the garden fence!
The big splurge came in the form of these Woodland wall decals I found on Etsy.  I saw some decals with a mama Dachshund and some puppies in Love Mae's shop and loved them but wondered if maybe there was a Basset Hound version.  Instead I found this really cute woodland scene!  A friend is building a house so I bought her some butterflies as well.  That was all the excuse I needed to place my order.  Shipping from Australia was really quick too!
They come in a roll with some suggestions on layout.  We had a bank holiday on Monday so I spent a few hours on Monday morning building a tree and arranging leaves.  It is a spring scene with happy bunnies and squirrels and baby chicks in a nest.
As the scene is a little big for my space I continued it to the other side of the door.  I'm not sure I like the way that red owl is eyeing up the little blue bird.  Might have to re-arrange that bit!

My cheapest purchase in the revamp was the curtains. 

I picked up 2 table cloths in Homestore+More for 10 Euro each and folded down one end to make a pocket for the rod.  I ran a second line of stitching across about 1.5" from the top to have a bit of fabric extending above the pole.  Easy peasy!   I did get lucky as the two tablecloths were cut only 1/4" different from each other so lining up the coloured lines was a cinch!

The only other change was to remove one set of spotlights and change it for a Navy lamp.
 
It's great to be finally finished this go around at the kitchen!  Next year hopefully we'll get a new counter top and maybe a circular table  to have a little bit more space this end next to the kettle and teapot!
 For now I'm calling this one done & dusted!  

17 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic, Ruth! I love how bright and light it is with fun accents of color. Hooray for great help, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your refinished kitchen looks beautiful and so inviting! Nice that you lightened it up by painting the wood. And that decal was so worth it. Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so colourful and happy. It's so you!! Never thought of using table cloth as curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks really brilliant. Well done on the hard work. It has paid off in spades 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's awesome!! Great job. So bright and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my favourite part are your new table cloth curtains! They really look snazzy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ruth! Your kitchen looks beautiful and lightful! I love the wall decals and colourful chairs! x teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks really awesome! The tiles are so beautiful. Such a lovely kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's a charming oasis! I adore the woodland clingfilmlike decals. Did they have an odor? Gotta be careful of that around here... but I love them. You sure have a lot going on in that little kitchen oasis... is that a washing machine I spy? LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! You did such a great job ... I want to pop of for a cuppa now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your kitchen update. The paint on the paneling is perfect and I love, love, love your curtains. What a clever idea to use a table cloth. I never would have thought of that. Smart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks Amazing. So fabulous what wood paneling looks like when it is painted! Lightens everything up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks amazing!! The white paneling made the kitchen look so bright and fresh and I love the tiles. My favourite are the chairs.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Ruth! Your space looks so much larger and fresh and bright! Love those tiles and also the cheerful and colorful accents! Very clever to use the two tablecloths as curtains too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ruth it looks fantastic!! What a difference :) Isn't it funny how you change one thing and all of a sudden the entire room (once, I looked up and the entire house had been redone LOL) is redone? Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's lovely, especially the tiles! We've just painted our kitchen this week- gravelling the garden next, what joys!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would not have been able to resist those tiles either. They were the perfect starting point for a renovation that has lightened and brightened the room beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...