Friday 27 September 2013

Friday Finishes

So I asked the question just how many makes can you get from one Jelly roll?  Turns out quite a lot.



I made a cushion, a doll quilt, and throw quilt for my cousin's new room and her 10th birthday.  This is the second Strip and Flip quilt I've made with jelly roll strips.  I really like it with 25 strips but I used a few more on this as a throw for her bed.  The tutorial is here at Cluck Cluck Sew.  The fabric is Posy by Aneela Hoey.  Instead of 2" strip and 1.5" sashing I used the 2.5" strips.

I pulled one of each strip from the Jelly roll and put together for a rainbow effect.  My first go gave me this but that orange strip in the middle jarred for me and I ripped it out and re-arranged it.





Then I pressed it and quilted it with zig zag chevrons. 


I used Ikea's musical scale fabric as backing.  I've had it in my stash since last Christmas.  I really wish Ikea would bring this out again.  It's my favourite backing fabric I've used, ever.


With the extra strips I made a doll quilt and a cushion blogged here.  So today I quilted them up and
finished them off as a set.


I tried my hand at free motion quilting stippling style.  I found it hard to move the quilt through the machine and then realised I had left the feed dogs up.  Oops!


Then I played it safe with straight line quilting for the cushion.  I think I'm going to make a few smaller projects and practice this Free Motion thing.  It definitely takes practice.


And this is all I had left over.  40 of those 2.5" strips sure go a long way.  I love the set all bundled up together.  Can't wait to give it to her!

Linking up to Finish it Friday and

and

11 comments:

  1. You go girlfriend! All of the projects look great. Here from Whoop WHoop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to make it last :) they are all so cute together I am sure she'll love them!
    xoxo melzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! it does make a lot! Beautiful colors and fun patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a ton of gorgeous projects from one jelly roll!! Love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great and shows the power of the jelly roll, LOL Love the colors!

    Thank you for linking up with TGIFF!

    Have a great weekend! :) Megan @ Cherry Valley Designs

    ReplyDelete
  6. They do go a long way! Great projects, Ruth! Way to go on the free motion quilting -- keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! She's going to love the bundle of gifts :) I would like to try stippling too - did you go to a class to learn?

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're all just gorgeous! I love your zigzag quilting! Did you mark all the lines for quilting or just one, then use a quilt line spacer?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I had no idea one jellyroll would go that far! Posy is such a cute line of fabrics. I bet your cousin is going to just love her presents! I know 10 year old me would have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colours!!! A tip for free motion quilting- you can leave the feed dogs up but set your stitch length to zero. I find this works better for me as it doesn't interfere with your tension so much and takes less tension adjustment. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a "surprise" background like yours!! I love Posy too....actually I love all AH fabric...LOL>>>

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...