Wednesday 11 September 2013

WIP Wed - Just how many projects can you get out of a Jelly Roll?


Fluffy Sheep Quilting had a discount offer last month, so I bought a Jelly Roll of Posy by Aneela Hoey with the intention of making a second Strip and Flip quilt (pattern by Cluck, Cluck, Sew).



After making this baby quilt for a friend, I really wanted to try making another one with more of a rainbow or colour graduation effect. The quilt uses 25-27 strips , so at the weekend, I pulled 1 of every print out of the bundle and had quite a few leftover. It's my little cousin's 10th birthday coming up in October and she has just moved into a new room , so I thought a girly quilt would make a nice present.

With lovely jelly roll strips in my hands, instead of putting them back in my stash, I decided to make the Playcrafts Modern Chevron Block and join in on the QAL being hosted by Molli Sparkles . I made the first one a bit wonky but the second one was spot on.
 

So trying to figure out what to do with them and having some strips still to spare, I cut the wonky one in half and played around with a layout like this:


I was thinking doll quilt at this stage. Last year we went to the Build-a-Bear shop in Dublin and my cousin made a beautiful bunny rabbit , so I thought a lap quilt for her and a quilt for the rabbit would make an even better birthday present.

I made the last block out of the remaining strips and put it together last night. Oh there is a lot of bias on the edge of these blocks so I pinned like a madwoman and bordered and sashed everything. The sashing is 1" strips cut from Moda Bella White jelly roll and the outside border is 1.5" strips made from the leftovers.

 
So this is what I ended up with. From a design point of view I'd make an effort next time to match my chevrons (I guess I was in a rush to finish I didn't even think about it because of the plain sashing strip).  I'd also love to make a smaller one like this:

 
It's got a nice rule of thirds feel to it. But I think it would be too small for the bear so I'm sticking with what I've got.

Oh and because I can't seem to stop playing with scraps at the moment, I made this on Sunday from the scraps of the first two blocks and 1 or 2 spare strips from the Posy jelly roll.

 
I wasn't sure what to do with just one block so I've bordered it to either make a wall hanging or a cushion. I'm leaning towards cushion at this stage and adding it to the lap quilt & doll quilt.

 
I think it makes a nice set. And that's it Jelly Roll all used up! (well nearly, I still have to make the lap quilt!)

Linking up to

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

3 comments:

  1. WOW! That's a fantastic number of projects out of one jelly roll!! :D I love it!
    Your doll quilt out of the herringbone block came out so well.

    I can't wait to see the strip and flip quilt, I love that pattern! So straight forward yet super striking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I've been wanting to give the strip and flip a try, can't wait to see your new one! Great work with the herringbone too, no way i could pull that block off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really stretched that jelly roll! I've never used one..

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...