Sunday 8 September 2013

Star Crossing 12" block with 2.5" squares


I had great plans for today.  I planned to get my blocks for the Penny Sampler course and quilt we are making with Stitched in Color's Rachel.  But I had left out the scraps of Posy fabric I had generated from yesterday's Chevron blocks and I decided to cut them into 2.5" squares.


As I was cutting away I kept thinking of what they would be like on my star crossing block I had made in a 32" size last month.

A quick math's check told me I'd need 1.5" finished squares and HST to make a 12" block and yes I could get all the pieces needed from my scraps.  So that was that, I had to give it a go.


I made half square triangles from 2.5" squares and trimmed them to 2".  I'm not a big fan of trimming HST, for me its a matter of turning on the TV or radio and just getting on with it.  There's quite a few in this block as I didn't have enough scraps for flying geese for the centre sections and had to piece smaller squares.  Still it worked out grand with the exception of being short one of the white patterned squares so I used a square of Moda Bella white.  I read a great idea on a blog about adding in an embroidered signature or name so I'll do that to lift that bottom left corner square.


After all that hard work a cup of tea and a hobnob biscuit was in order!


All done.  I think the block works well in print as well as the solid I made last month.  I do wish I had used white for the dark pink squares as in my original design, but I was determined to use up scraps.  Up close it looks busy and very pink!  On the wall it looks ok to me.  Not sure what I'm going to do with just one 12.5" block!


Linking up to Design Wall Monday and Anything Goes Monday

3 comments:

  1. I love it! Just perfect! Make it a mini and hang her up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your block really makes the Posy fabric range shine ... love it :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...